“When the saints go marching in. When the saints go marching in. Lord, I want to be in that number, when the saints go marching in.”
My writing mentor told me the other day that only one percent of those who strive to become professional writers actually make it, but with hard work and determination on my part, I could be in that number.
His words made me think of an old gospel song that talks about how much the songwriter wanted to be in the number of people who enter the kingdom of God. Just like he knew there were certain requirements to be in the number of those who entered heaven, there are certain requirements aspiring writers need to meet if they are to be in the number of those who enter the land of writing for publication. What are they:
- Determine to learn your craft as well as you can.
- Schedule a designated writing time and stick to it.
- Set writing goals and stick to them.
- Sacrifice when necessary to accomplish your writing goals.
- Write even when you don’t feel like writing.
- Stop waiting for inspiration and establish a daily writing routine.
- Do your research to help you find the right publisher for your manuscript.
- Keep submitting your work for publication, even when you’re rejected.
Is it your desire to become an author one day? Then work hard to be in that number!
Sharing the journey,
Responding to God’s call to write: Choose one thing you will do to ensure you are in the number of writers who become authors.